We are looking for a freelance editor for RU<->EN language pair. In this role, you will be responsible for making the text in video games fun, immersive, and a pleasure for players to experience. Daily activities include: writing dialogues, re-naming skills so they follow a common theme, sorting through the nuances of complex time travel stories and rewriting them so they're emotionally compelling, and working with other editors to decide zone names, punctuation rules, NPC personality quirks, and more.
What you can expect to do:
- Edit and re-write translated game text and voice over scripts (and all other editorial content related to games serviced by the Production team) to ensure readability and comprehension for an American audience.
- Edit (for grammar, punctuation, spelling, style, and language-specific slang) all in-game text, web features and marketing copies to be coherent, entertaining, and free of errors
- Create and update various localization documents, such as style guides, NPC documents, story reference materials, voiceover scripts, and so on.
- Provide bug correction support pertaining to in-game text
- Review, proof, and revise, as necessary, all game-related editorial content
- Localize and rewrite all translated game text to reflect current and local language, slang, phraseologies, and nuances, especially in the context of video games
- Setup and update game term bases unique to each game
- Perform in-game testing to identify text problems in alpha, beta, pre-launch game versions
- Attend voiceover sessions to provide contextual support as needed.
- Contribute creative input for game text and various communication channels.
- Become an expert on the games you handle.
- Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs
- You understand that writing is a craft honed through hours of practice—hours you’ve put in. Adverbs make you cringe; redundancies keep you awake at night. You understand that first drafts are horrible, so you’ve learned how to return to your work again and again until it shines.
- Some would say you are well-versed in different styles and can switch between them on the fly. You reach for a red pen whenever you see a misplaced modifier. You have an opinion about the serial comma, yet you can edit against your preference without complaint. Subject-verb disagreement drives you insane.
- Great writing is also about receiving criticism gracefully. You know that feedback improves your writing, so you can listen to tough words about your work without getting defensive. Instead, you mentally process the feedback and then find the best way to apply it to your writing.
- Emails, meetings, phone, and face-to-face—when people talk, you get what they’re saying, even between the lines, and you know how to communicate back in a way that’s easy for them to digest. You take the time to comprehend storytelling from other cultures, and you’re patient enough to create literary gold out of rough translations.
- You know how to keep track of your tasks. You know how to prioritize. Missing deadlines annoys you almost as much as passive voice sentences, so you never miss them.
- You’ve been a part of the working world for at least 7 years, with at least 5 years of professional writing or editing experience. If you’ve spent a couple of those years in the game industry or at a localization agency, that’s even better.
- Being passionate about games wouldn’t hurt. Shooters, RPGs, puzzles, online or off—you love playing games and you love talking about them. You love them so much that the thought of spending hours searching for text bugs in games that you’ll be helping to publish excites you.
- WE love team work, yes, WE do! WE love team work how bout you!? You write and edit alone, but you enjoy working with others to make a product shine, even if it sometimes means putting in extra hours.
- Hardcore gamers with an in-depth knowledge of the online game market, first person shooters, influencers, eSports and various progressive business models.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Strong attention to detail and customer service experience.
- Ability to adapt to a dynamic and changing work environment and work in cross-functional teams.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- work in a dynamic environment with true professionals;
- regular payments in accordance with strict deadlines (the rate depends on the test results);
- flexible working hours;
- instant professional development.
To apply you need:
- to fill out this form
- to complete a free test on editing